To provide an effective and high-quality service and to maintain appropriate accountability, Avenues Lifestyle Support Association Inc. must collect, store and sometimes share relevant personal information about the people we support. It is important that we are consistent and careful in the way we decide who can see or hear this information, and protect and uphold the legislated rights of the people we support to access to their own records.
Avenues is committed to preventing unauthorised persons gaining access to any person’s confidential records and to permitting the people we support access to their own records when this is reasonable and appropriate. Specifically, we will:
• Determine who is authorized access to the person we support’s information, in the consent form signed by the people we support.
• Restrict access to the people we support’s information to unauthorized persons and ensure all information gathered is secure at all times to protect information from unauthorised access and/or disclosure, modification or misuse.
• Inform the people we support about their right to access records containing personal information about themselves and how they can request this.
• Recording the people we support requests to access files.
• Make fair and appropriate decisions about permitting or refusing access to personal information.
• Provide for the people we support, or have supported, to access their own confidential information.
• Advise the people whom we have refused access to personal information how to appeal (if appropriate).
• Enable the people we support to change records they believe to be inaccurate or misrepresenting, when appropriate.
For any concerns related to privacy, please contact Avenues Lifestyle Support directly by calling (07) 5482 9775